Islands Family YMCA - After School Counselor
Job Type: Part Time
Category: Part Time
Islands Family YMCA
66 Johnny Mercer Blvd
Savannah, GA 31410
Provides a quality environment for children that adheres to licensing guidelines, YMCA child care policies and procedures, and implements program curriculum. Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focus on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Implements the after school curriculum within the established guidelines.
- Administers planned activities and assists in planning developmentally appropriate activities as needed.
- Supervises the children in groups, activity times, outside time, and all other activities.
- Systematically evaluates activities for their effectiveness and makes changes accordingly in an effort to present developmentally appropriate, relevant material to participants.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with parents. Engages parents during pick up and drop off.
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Maintains required program records.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Assists in the Annual Campaign responsibilities assigned to the Child Care Department. Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
- Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
- YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. and at least 18 Years of Age.
- Effective communication skills.
- Satisfactory Bright From the Start Fingerprint Letter.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Fire Safety Training within the first 90 days of hire date.
- Previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
- Ability to organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.1. Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities.3. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. 5. Other requirements specific to this position may require the candidate to: sit, stoop, crawl, crouch, kneel, bend, balance, stand, walk, sit, and reach or grab. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to bodily fluids. The noise level in the work environment is moderately loud.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- 4. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- 2. Ability to monitor large groups of children and act accordingly to meet their needs.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
To apply for the position. please email resume to Darcy Albury.